As the weather begins to heat up, moving into the dreamy days of summer (for most of you), I thought I’d share my absolute favorite summer treat: the acai bowl. There are a thousand ways to make these, but I’ve nailed down a quick and easy recipe that nails it every time.
Why it rocks:
– Has loads of antioxidants, which help to neutralize damaging free radicals
– Increases energy levels
– Helps digestive organs
– Supports the immune system
– Is a killer alternative to the 3pm coffee or dark chocolate cravings
What you’ll need:
– A blender
– 1/2 tablespoon Acai Powder (available online here for those in Australia, or at your local health food store)
– 3 ice cubes
– 1 1/2 cup of frozen berries (trust me, this will turn out better than the fresh stuff. I like to buy a mixed bag of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries, and another bag of frozen strawberries)
– 1/2 cup Almond Milk
– One Banana
– Toppings: Raw oats, granola and/or chia seeds and fresh blueberries and/or strawberries
– Raw organic honey for added sweetness (optional)
Put it all together:
1. Place the ice and half of your almond milk in the blender. Give it a spin for a few seconds to crush the ice.
2. Add your frozen berries, half of the banana (chopped), the rest of the almond milk and the acai powder. Blend on high until the there is a smooth consistency throughout. You can add a little more almond milk if needed.
3. Pour into a bowl and add your toppings. Drizzle with honey if desired.
4. Instagram your Acai Bowl — because these beauties are Insta-worthy! (and tag me at ashleydunlop!)